Registration for Winter term (Jan-Mar 2024) is now open!
This is a HYBRID class, with the option to participate in-person at the VSO School or online
It’s never too late to find a fun and unique way to express yourself musically, with our beginner adult recorder class! You can choose whether to participate in-person or online via Zoom, but either way, you’ll discover the joy of playing one of the oldest instruments in the world – the alto recorder.
The recorder has been an important part of music history for centuries. It’s been used in everything from medieval folk music to baroque orchestras and even makes appearances in popular music today. This class, led by Marea Chernoff, is perfect for those with little to no musical experience. We’ll start from the basics, teaching you how to play the alto recorder in a supportive environment. Before you know it, you’ll be playing your first tunes and harmonizing with the group. With its rich, warm tone, the alto recorder is a great introduction to the recorder family.
Over 12 weeks, participants will:
- learn posture and technique to make the best sound possible on their recorder
- begin reading music and identifying notes on their instrument
- experience playing in a group, hearing their sound within the ensemble, creating music and harmonies through scales and simple pieces
Participants will need:
- An alto recorder with Baroque/English fingering
- Basic Recorder Technique Vol 1, by Hugh Orr (PDF download is $9.99)