Registration for Winter term (Jan-Mar 2024) is now open!
This class is in a HYBRID format, with most instruction given online via Zoom, with some dates when participants will come together in person at the VSO School of Music to rehearse and record
If you can make up a few notes on your instrument, you can create music. This idea is often overlooked when we try to “compose” for the first time. Through this engaging course, delivered mostly via interactive online sessions but with some in-person rehearsals and recording sessions, professional jazz musician and composer Noah Franche-Nolan will take you from overwhelmed to empowered as you find the joy that comes with creating your own music.
Explore your creative possibilities within the world of writing jazz/Black American music! In this course, students will:
- learn to analyze a Jazz standard and derive valuable information for new compositions
- learn to write a Jazz contrafact and an original composition in lead sheet format
- learn to arrange for small ensemble
- gain an appreciation for jazz composers
- engage in collaborative compositional group projects
- rehearse and perform each other’s original music in a final recording session