The 2020-21 Performance Prep Program is now open for applications!
The deadline to apply is July 31, 2020
The VSOSoM Performance Prep Program is a 10-month ‘residency’ for a maximum of 10 gap year students per year, who show a high level of musical talent, and desire preparation to progress to higher education in classical, jazz or world music performance.
The VSO School of Music is at the vanguard of online musical learning. Students will benefit from the SoM’s flexible program delivery while developing their own adaptive skills. With the School of Music’s unique association with a professional orchestra, students will experience the many departments and inner workings of a large arts organization.
This one-of-a-kind Program is part funded by a $5,000 scholarship per participant, and is designed to offer a broad range of opportunities for emerging young musicians:
• 2hrs Private lessons per week
• 2x ensembles or group classes per week
• Masterclasses by VSO Guest Artists (where applicable)
• Coaching by VSO Musicians (where applicable)
• Arts Administration Co-op AND/OR
• Pedagogical Co-op (4hrs per week combined)
• Formal Mentorship Program with a member of the VSO or VSO School of Music
• Community Engagement
• Career-Resilience Development
• Marketing / Public Relations training
• Financial Literacy training
• Audition & Application preparation
• Performance opportunities
• Other specialized opportunities, including free practice space, complimentary VSO concert tickets, and more.
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR 2020-21
- Click the “Apply Now” button and submit a complete application form including personal essay, references and, for non-VSOSoM students only, a link to a video audition.
The video audition should contain two contrasting pieces of your choice.
- If your application is successful, you will be invited to an interview with VSO & VSOSoM leadership & the appropriate department head for your instrument. Please note, interviews will begin before the application deadline, so the earlier you submit your application, the earlier your interview will be scheduled.
- Upon successful completion of the interview, you will be asked to select the optional modules of your program, and will receive an agreement detailing the program commitments and cost.
- Please note that successful applicants will receive scholarship funding of $5,000 for the year, and will be required to pay the remaining cost of the program (approximately $5,000 depending on modules chosen) themselves. Payment plans are available upon request.
For questions about the Performance Prep Program, including the application process, please contact Program Coordinator Yvanna Mycyk