The 2020-21 Performance Prep Program is now open for applications!
The deadline to apply is June 1, 2020
The VSOSoM Performance Prep Program is a 10-month ‘residency’ for a maximum of 10 gap year students per year, who show a high level of musical talent, and desire preparation to progress to higher education in classical, jazz or world music performance. This one-of-a-kind Program is part funded by a $5,000 scholarship per participant, and is designed to offer a broad range of opportunities for emerging young musicians:
• 2hrs Private lessons per week
• 2x ensembles or group classes per week
• Masterclasses by VSO Guest Artists
• Coaching by VSO Musicians where applicable
• Arts Administration Co-op AND/OR
• Pedagogical Co-op (4hrs per week combined)
• Termly mentorship check-in sessions
• Marketing / Public Relations training
• Financial Literacy training
• Audition preparation
• Performance opportunities
• Other specialized opportunities, including free practice space, complimentary VSO concert tickets, and more.
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR 2020-21
- Click the “Apply Now” button and submit a complete application form including personal essay, references and, for non-VSOSoM students only, a link to a video audition.
The video audition should contain two contrasting pieces of your choice.
- If your application is successful, you will be invited to an interview with VSO & VSOSoM leadership & the appropriate department head for your instrument. Please note, interviews will begin before the application deadline, so the earlier you submit your application, the earlier your interview will be scheduled.
- Upon successful completion of the interview, you will be asked to select the optional modules of your program, and will receive an agreement detailing the program commitments and cost.
- Please note that successful applicants will receive scholarship funding of $5,000 for the year, and will be required to pay the remaining cost of the program (approximately $5,000 depending on modules chosen) themselves. Payment plans are available upon request.
For questions about the Performance Prep Program, including the application process, please contact Director of Operations Gillian Hunter-Gibbs