The 2023-24 Performance Prep Program is now open for applications
Deadline to apply is Monday, May 1, 2023 by 5pm
The VSOSoM Performance Prep Program is a 10-month residency for students who show a high level of musical talent and desire preparation to progress to higher education in classical, jazz or world music performance.
Students will benefit from the SoM’s flexible program delivery while developing their own adaptive skills in this conservatory style program. With the School of Music’s unique association with Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, students will experience the many departments and inner workings of a large arts organization.
This one-of-a-kind Program is partly funded by a 50% scholarship for successful applicants, and is designed to offer a broad range of opportunities for emerging young musicians:
- 2hrs Private lessons and 2x ensembles or group classes per week (including theory, chamber music, jazz, and history options)
- Masterclasses and coaching by VSO Musicians, VSO Guest Artists, and award-winning jazz artists. (Where applicable)
- Practicum with a focus in pedagogy or arts management (4hrs per week)
- Formal Mentorship Program with a member of the VSO or VSO School of Music
- Career Development training including:
- Marketing, Public Relations, and financial literacy training
- Audition & competition preparation
- Performance opportunities
- Other specialized opportunities, including free practice space, complimentary VSO concert tickets, and more.
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR 2023-24
- Click the “Apply Now” button and submit a complete application form including personal essay, references and a link to a video audition.
The video audition should contain two contrasting pieces of your choice.
- If your application is successful, you will be invited to an interview with VSOSoM leadership & the appropriate department head for your instrument. Please note, interviews will begin before the application deadline, so the earlier you submit your application, the earlier your interview will be scheduled.
- Upon successful completion of the interview, you will be asked to select the optional modules of your program and will receive an agreement detailing the program commitments and cost.
For questions about the Performance Prep Program, including the application process, please contact Manager Kira Bennett
This program is generously supported by:
The Youtz Family Performance Prep Program Scholarship