The 2023-24 Performance Prep Program Cohort has now been chosen.
Applications will open for the 2024-25 Performance Prep Program in early 2024.
The VSOSoM Performance Prep Program is a 10-month residency for students who show a high level of musical talent and desire preparation to progress to higher education in classical, jazz or world music performance.
Students will benefit from the SoM’s flexible program delivery while developing their own adaptive skills in this conservatory style program. With the School of Music’s unique association with Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, students will experience the many departments and inner workings of a large arts organization.
This one-of-a-kind Program is partly funded by a $5,000 scholarship for successful applicants, and is designed to offer a broad range of opportunities for emerging young musicians:
- 2hrs Private lessons and 2x ensembles or group classes per week (including theory, chamber music, jazz, and history options)
- Masterclasses and coaching by VSO Musicians, VSO Guest Artists, and award-winning jazz artists. (Where applicable)
- Practicum with a focus in pedagogy or arts management (4hrs per week)
- Formal Mentorship Program with a member of the VSO or VSO School of Music
- Career Development training including:
- Marketing, Public Relations, and financial literacy training
- Audition & competition preparation
- Performance opportunities
- Other specialized opportunities, including free practice space, complimentary VSO concert tickets, and more.
For questions about the Performance Prep Program, including the application process, please contact Director of Programming Louise Ironside
This program is generously supported by:
The Youtz Family Performance Prep Program Scholarship