Registration for Winter term (Jan-Mar 2024) is now open!
These are in-person music classes, held at the VSO School
Music theory can be fun!
Students who are beginning to read notes or study an instrument and looking for a hands-on, multi-sensory experience will thrive in this play-based yet focused class. Designed to support the learning of music theory in a fun and interactive setting, concepts are taught through activities and games to increase confidence with minimal use of pencil and paper. This class will help support young musicians who want to get a strong foundational start and increase their enjoyment and success in the learning of their instrument.
Yes, we do note naming and teach rhythms aurally, plus much, much more! Students will learn:
- how to form a mental picture of the staff-visual recognition skills
- how scales and chords are structured
- to recognize intervals and chord progressions through ear training
- the circle of 5ths, and key signatures up to 5 sharps and 5 flats-meter, and how to count rhythm (ask your teacher if this is important!)
- to read, create and improvise rhythms along with rhythmic dictation
- how all those clefs work (they’re not hard!)