The VSO School of Music has undertaken an exhaustive approach to identifying and implementing strategies that will keep students, faculty, staff, and guests safe from the spread of COVID-19. Elimination and control measures have been put in place that will limit the potential exposure to COVID-19.
If you have any symptoms of COVID-19, you will not be permitted to enter the facility. This same restriction applies to all VSO Musicians, VSO Staff, SoM Staff, Students, and Parents. If you have concerns, we encourage you to use the BC health self-assessment tool. For school policies, including missed lessons, please click here
Update Sep 8 2021:
The directive from the Provincial Health Officer will affect all in-person programs, lessons, and rentals beginning with proof of a first dose by September 13th and proof full vaccination by October 24th. To count as fully vaccinated according to the BC government, you must have received a 2nd dose 7 days prior. Vaccination will not be required for any programs or lessons taking place online.
For more information about the upcoming proof of vaccination requirements as well as information on how to get vaccinated, please visit the following resources:
OCCUPANCY AND PHYSICAL DISTANCING
- Directional signs have been placed strategically around the building to facilitate safe physical distancing.
- Seating areas have been reduced in order to maximize the amount of space for social distancing regulation
- Shared washrooms have an occupancy limit of 2 individuals at any one time
- The elevator has an occupancy limit of 2 individuals at any one time with clear markings on the floor to ensure physical distancing
- All studios and classrooms spaces have been assessed and given a maximum capacity to ensure proper physical distancing. All group classes and ensemble numbers have been limited in response to this.
- Classrooms and studios have been reorganised to remove extraneous items and maximise available space
- Parents are encouraged to drop off/pick up outside the front door of the School or in the lobby area. When needed, only one parent may accompany the child to their lesson/class. Please check with your instructor for individual studio policies regarding parent presence in the lesson
- In order to control occupancy the School is not allowing drop-ins for practice or make-up lessons
- The School asks both instructors and students to not arrive more than 15 minutes before their assigned time
- As of Wednesday, Sep 25 – all visitors to the VSO School of Music facility over the age of 12 are required to wear a face covering in correlation with the new mask mandate issued by the BC government.
- Masks are highly recommended for children ages 3-12 and may be required by your instructor.
- Once in classrooms and studios, please follow the mask policy of your individual instructor.
- All staff, faculty, students, and guests are asked to wash their hands upon entering and exiting the building and before and after room use
- Common Area high touch surfaces throughout the building are sanitized daily
- Hand sanitizer stations on each floor are signposted clearly and hand sanitizer is topped up regularly. Hand sanitizer is available in all studios and classrooms
- Cleaning supplies are available in each studio if individuals choose to use. Please follow the instructions provided
- Air handling systems have been modified to increase the outside air intake and allow greater air exchange throughout the facility