Sep 2023-Jun 2024 Policies
Becoming a VSOSoM Student
- Welcome to the VSO School of Music community!
- Group classes can be enrolled in through our website or by calling our office at 604-915-9300 ext 100. Registration for private lessons takes place through the School Registration team by filling in this form.
- Students may sign up for and begin private lessons at any time during the year.
- Special schedules, e.g. bi-weekly lessons, may sometimes be accommodated at the discretion of the teacher. Please contact the Registration team to discuss your scheduling needs.
- Answers to our Frequently Asked Questions
To ensure the safety and health of our students, faculty, and staff, do not enter the VSO School of Music building if you are sick. We ask everyone to please stay home when sick, and to call our office or email email@example.com to let us know you are unable to attend your lesson/class.
- When enrolling in a group class or special activity, payment must be made in full at least one week before participation begins.
- When enrolling in a full-year ensemble, payment can be made either in full, or in three termly installments. The first installment is due when enrolling, and the other two will be automatically deducted from a credit card on December 15 and March 15.
- When enrolling in private lessons, you can either pay in full before beginning your lessons, or provide payment options in advance to be deducted monthly. Remaining installments are automatically charged to a credit card, 14 days prior to the 1st of each month. Each payment covers the amount of lessons occurring in that month.
- Private instrumental instruction & full year ensembles only: a non-refundable $55 registration fee applies, which covers the whole school year (Sep-Jun).
- A $25.00 service charge will be applied for any payment from accounts with insufficient funds (NSF). More than one NSF will result in the loss of cheque-writing privileges.
- If a student has failed three credit card payments in a school year, they will lose the option of automatic monthly installments for the remainder of that school year, and will be required to pay a term at a time, at least 14 days in advance.
- Unfortunately, we are not able to provide make-up classes or refunds for group classes or ensemble rehearsals missed by a participant.
- If the instructor is sick and no substitute instructor can be found, the class will be cancelled, and a prorated amount for that class will be credited back to the student’s school account.
- For the benefit of all students, class sizes must be limited to those enrolled. We are not able to accommodate unregistered siblings as participants in classes.
- For private lessons, if a student is aware of an upcoming absence – e.g. vacation – the student should inform the Registrar at the time of registration and, with the Instructor’s permission, the number of lessons can only be adjusted at the time of registration. *For full year registrations, the number of lessons can be adjusted one month prior the start of each term
- Once a student has committed to a specific number of lessons, the teacher reserves these times for the student. Students are expected to attend each lesson he/she has reserved with the teacher. Make-up lessons are not guaranteed, and lessons missed by the student will only be made up under special circumstances (not including vacations, school events etc.), at the discretion of the individual teacher. Giving maximum possible notice of an impending absence may increase the chances of the instructor agreeing to give a make-up lesson.
- Members of the faculty are active performers in the field. From time to time, their performance schedules may necessitate rescheduling a lesson.
- If an Instructor is absent, every effort will be made to provide a make-up lesson at a time that is suitable to both the student and the Instructor. If the Instructor is unable to make up a lesson, the student will receive a credit to be applied to future lessons or classes.
- Refunds/credits for Instructor absences will be issued only upon written notice from the Instructor.
It is highly recommended that students do not change instructors during the school year, in order to avoid a negative impact on their progress. While the VSO School of Music cannot guarantee transfers between instructors, every effort will be made to ensure students are placed appropriately with a teacher that meets their individual needs.
Two weeks’ written notice to the student’s current Instructor is required when transferring to another VSOSoM Instructor.
Withdrawals, Credits and Refunds
Group Classes / Ensembles
- If a student needs to withdraw from a group class up to two weeks before it has started, any fees paid will be transferred to a school credit. No credits will be issued if a student withdraws from a group class less than two weeks before the start date.
- If a student’s behaviour is deemed consistently disruptive to a class, after consultation with the parents, the teacher will have the right to refuse entry to the class.
- Group classes and ensembles need to meet a minimum number of enrolled participants to run. Activities may have to be cancelled if they fail to meet their minimum number. In this instance, participants will be notified at least one week in advance, and will receive a full refund.
- If a student wishes to withdraw from private lessons, one month’s written notice to the Instructor and to the administrative team is required. The date of notice will be the date the Instructor submits a withdrawal form to the School’s administration. Automatic payment schedules will be suspended only once payment is received for lessons up until the official withdrawal date.
- Lessons that are missed during a term that cannot be made-up will only be credited after that particular term has ended, with the instructor’s written permission to the school’s administration. Please note we are not able to offer refunds from previous school years.
The school is committed to providing a respectful, professional, caring and positive environment for work and learning, free from physical, psychological or verbal harassment. Harassment includes verbal aggression or insults, unwelcome comments or actions, and any inappropriate conduct or comment that can be reasonably expected to cause intimidation or distress. This policy applies to staff, directors, contractors, faculty, parents, students and visitors.
Holidays and Closures
The School is closed on all statutory holidays. Please check our online calendar for holidays and other important term dates. Statutory holidays are taken into account in the number of lessons booked at the time of registration. Lessons will not take place on these dates. Private lessons missed due to a School closure, such as a snow day, will be made up if possible.
Studio Use / Bookings
- Rental Bookings: Please contact the Rentals Coordinator for assistance with renting space in the School
- Practice Bookings: Students, Faculty and Orchestra members may book a practice room for personal practice with 24-48hrs notice. Please contact the Front Desk Attendant (firstname.lastname@example.org) to book practice time.
- Unauthorized music lessons or coaching are not permitted by any party. All lessons taking place in the facility are between Faculty and students of the VSOSoM only, and must be previously approved by the Registrar.