The VSO School of Music is proud to provide access to music lessons and programs to families in need of financial assistance. The bursary committee evaluates applications using a pre-determined scoring matrix to award recipients based foremost on financial need, with secondary consideration given to musical experience level and achievement.
Bursaries must be used in the term(s) for which they are awarded and cannot be exchanged for any other VSO School of Music class or program. Any student receiving a bursary must meet the expectations of the studio teacher for the student’s progress and attendance, or the bursary may be withdrawn.
The Bursary Committee reviews applications in advance of each academic term throughout the year:
- Fall term and Full year applications:
– First intake: June 1st deadline
– Depending on available funding, applications may be considered in a second intake: August 30th deadline
- Winter term applications: November 15th deadline
- Spring term applications: February 15th deadline
- Summer Camp applications: June 1st deadline
We are grateful for the establishment of the following bursaries for VSOSoM students:
- The HSBC Bursary Fund (for students age 5-12yrs)
- The George & Mary Anne Sigal Fund (for students up to age 18yrs)
- The Leon & Joan Tuey Bursary Fund
- CLICK Foundation (Contributing to Lives of Inner City Kids)
The VSO School of Music currently awards scholarships as part of our annual Future of Excellence Competition, the VSOSoM Festivals for Strings and Piano, and to students of the Performance Prep Program. Scholarships are awarded purely on the basis of musical achievement, rather than financial need.
As and when additional scholarships are made available, there will be a specific application process, which will be reviewed by a panel of the SoM’s Department Chairs.
We are grateful for the establishment of the following scholarships for VSOSoM students:
- The Hoing Family Foundation:
– Surrey High School Student Fund
– Exceptional Talent Fund
- The Youtz Family Performance Prep Program Scholarship
For questions about the VSO School of Music Scholarships and Bursaries, please send an email to Development Manager, Ashleigh Withall.