How to access our online classes:
The VSO School of Music now uses Google Meet for our online classes, a user-friendly system for virtual classrooms, which is free for you to use, and allows you to see and interact with other participants and the instructor.
When you enroll in an online class, you will receive a class link as part of your emailed receipt. When you click on the class link, you will be redirected to the Google Meet page. Simply click the blue button that says “ask to join”, and wait for the instructor to admit you to the virtual classroom.
A secure space:
Google Meet is a safe and secure space, with many features to protect our students’ data and privacy:
- All data in Meet is encrypted in transit by default between the client and Google for video meetings on a web browser, on the Android and iOS apps, and in meeting rooms with Google Meet hardware.
- No plugins or software are required to be installed
- Required approval for participants to join —Only the instructor can see and approve requests to join the video meeting, ensuring that only registered students join.
- Class moderation controls—Only instructors can mute or remove other participants. This ensures that instructors can’t be removed or muted by student participants.
Technical requirements for Google Meet:
- A device with minimum system requirements.
- An internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE) fast enough to support video streaming
- A supported web browser (e.g. Chrome; Friefox; Edge; Safari) OR Meet mobile app OR Gmail mobile app
- Speakers and a microphone – built-in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
- Optional: A webcam – built-in or USB plug-in